|Policy Title:||Leave Sharing for Officers, Exempt Professionals, Faculty on Twelve-month Appointments and Classified Staff|
|Approved by:||President Bruce D. Benson|
|Responsible University Officer:||SeniorVice President for Administration and Chief of Staff|
|Responsible Office:||SeniorVice President for Administration and Chief of Staff|
|Policy Contact:||Senior Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer|
|Supersedes:||Leave Sharing for Officers, Exempt Professional and Faculty on Twelve-Month Appointments January 1, 2008 and Leave Sharing for Permanent State Classified Staff July 1, 1990|
|Applies to:||All campuses|
Brief Description: Guidance regarding availability and minimum procedural standards for application to a leave sharing program.
This administrative policy statement (APS) affirms the availability of leave sharing for all university officers, exempt professionals, faculty on twelve-month appointments and classified staff, and provides guidance regarding minimum procedural standards in its application, as may be further developed in campus and system policy.
II. Policy Statement
- The president and chancellors may establish leave sharing programs for their organizations for the purpose of allowing donated annual leave to be used by their officers, exempt professionals, faculty on twelve-month appointments and classified staff. For classified employees such leave sharing programs may be further developed in accordance with applicable State Personnel Board Rules, subject to the following:
- Only donations of accrued annual leave are permitted; sick leave cannot be donated. Annual leave donations must be documented in writing and approved by the donating employee’s department to assure sufficient accrued leave exists to support the amount of leave donated.
- Donations may include annual leave that would otherwise be in excess of accrual limits permitted beyond June 30 of each year.
- Depending on the campus leave sharing program, donations may be made generally to a "leave sharing program" or to a specific person.
- Campuses must implement written procedures that provide information to employees regarding leave sharing eligibility criteria, how eligibility and leave amount determinations are made, and how employees may donate or make a request for leave sharing. Such written procedures shall include sample forms for employees to use when donating annual leave and requesting leave sharing hours.
- Leave Sharing Discretionary
- The grant of leave sharing hours is discretionary, is not an employee’s entitlement and cannot be grieved or appealed. Additionally, donated annual leave is not subject to payout upon termination of employment. All requests should be treated in a highly confidential manner.
IV. Related Policies, Procedures, Forms, Guidelines and Other Resources
- Initial policy – January 1, 2008
VI. Key Words
Leave sharing, leave bank, and leave donations