Payment Errors - What to Do

Payment Errors: What to Do

To avoid payment errors before they happen, business partners should review appropriate HRMS reports after each payroll and initiate any check or advice pulls when necessary.

The best way to correct errors depends upon the specific type of the error. Employing departments should help their employees properly route and follow up when they discover potential errors.

Use following procedures:

Gross Pay Error

The employing department verifies that all paperwork was processed accurately and in a timely manner, and that appropriate procedures were followed.

If a payment error is discovered, the department makes the appropriate correction, depending upon whether an underpayment or overpayment was made. (See Handdrawn Procedure for information on underpayments, or Overpayment of Wages for overpayments. Also relevant: Pull or Stop Payment.)

General Deduction Error

For general deductions, contact the department or unit providing the service.

That unit will review the information and correct the deduction as necessary. (See Deductions (General) – Campus Contacts and Payroll Schedule for more information.)

Benefits Deduction Error

Benefits questions should be directed to an Employee Services benefits counselor, who will review the information and correct the deduction if necessary.  Call Employee Services at 303-860-4200, option 3, for benefits information.

Tax Deductions

Contact an Employee Services benefits counselor with questions about federal and state withholding, the Old Age, Survivors And Disability Insurance (OASDI) Program, Medicare tax and occupational tax.

Call Employee Services at 303-860-4200, option 2, for payroll information.

File Attachments