CU Facts and Figures
- In fall 2017, the total student headcount enrollment among CU’s four campuses was 64,922. CU Boulder enrolled 33,220; UCCS enrolled 12,476; CU Denver enrolled 15,000 and the CU Anschutz Medical Campus enrolled 4,226.
- CU awarded 14,479 degrees in the 2015-16 fiscal year.
- In fall 2016, CU had 3,516 tenured/tenure track faculty and 1,867 full-time non-tenure track instructors.
- In fiscal year 2016-17, CU garnered $1.034 billion in sponsored research awards to conduct research in economic sectors critical to the state and nation, including energy, bioscience, aerospace and health care.
- CU exceeded $386.3 million in private support for FY 2016-17.
- CU's operating budget for the 2017-18 fiscal year totals $4.11 billion. Contracts and grants and tuition and fees account for nearly half of the university's revenues. The majority of CU's budget is spent on instruction, research and health services. This reflects the institution's role as a university that emphasizes classroom instruction, research training and community outreach.
- CU boasts nearly 450,000 living alumni, more than 250,000 of whom call Colorado their home.
- CU employs nearly 32,000 people and is the third largest employer in the state.
- In the past year, CU Technology Transfer registered 275 invention disclosures, 112 new patent filings and 193 follow-on filings, and $3.1 million in license revenue. Five new companies were formed based on CU technology.
- Universitywide, awards to students for academic excellence include seven Marshall Scholarships, 79 Fulbright Fellowships, 19 Rhodes Scholars, nine Truman Scholarships, 27 Goldwater Scholarships and seven Udall Scholarships.
Noteworthy honors and awards earned by CU faculty include:
- Five Nobel Laureates—David Wineland, physics, 2012; John Hall, physics, 2005; Eric Cornell and Carl Wieman, physics, 2001; Thomas Cech, chemistry, 1989
- Nine MacArthur fellowships; and the Carnegie Foundation’s Professor of the Year awarded to Carl Wieman in 2004 and Steven Pollock, U.S. Professor of the Year 2013-14